Saturday, May 28, 2005

This Food Is Just So... Comfortable



Oh, Philadelphia, I'm smitten by you. And the Northwest -- I love you most of all. Not least because of the Trolley Car Diner in Mount Airy.

Before, O Trolley Car, I had praised only your breakfasts: the fluffiest of omelettes, the most delicious of pancakes, the plethora of choices on your weekend breakfast bar. I looked down on your lunch specials, because, forsooth, the burgers, fries, wings, and beer at McMenamin's appeared undefeatable. But yesterday, yea, when I feasted on your meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and the roast turkey dinner my bride-to-be could not finish herself, I astonished even myself at the depth of my feelings for you. When I followed my meal with a soft-served vanilla-and-chocolate-twist cone from your trolley car ice cream shoppe, I knew again what it meant to love a restaurant. And oh, what sweet bliss it was.

No comments: